Monday, June 6, 2011

I Heart Beef



I have got to say...if it were any other food, I may have thought twice about this internship.  However, what I have realized is what a great group of people NCBA is, sharing the same mind-set about beef that I grew up on.  Working with these people makes me feel like I could be working with anyone from home which provides a comfortable environment to work in.

For example...we all share the same views about vegetarians=they have a weak stance, being the issues about inhumane treatments of animals AND their health benefits of laying off the beef. People who work at NCBA practically eat beef everyday! I am also learning more and more about legislation issues and updates of the industry via list serve emails from co-workers.

Today I helped out with some consumer sensory testing on sirloin tip center steak.  We cut the steaks 1", 3/4", 1/2", and 1/4" in thickness and cooked them all to medium (145 degrees).  Panelists were to indicate which bites of steak were most appealing to eat of the four different options.  Obviously the 1" in thickness was most tender, but this cut of meat was still edible at 1/4" cooked to medium.  This test is specifically geared towards the home consumer and how they would deal with challenges in preparation with such a cut of meat.  After textural differences are found, the test kitchen can make recipes that the home cook can make without ruining their beef.

As they say..."We're all in this together!" They MUST have been talking about loving beef :)



NCBA offices are located on the entire 3rd floor...the other floors are different organizations. Haha...Mom made the shot the bottom right of the picture!

No comments:

Post a Comment