Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Pork Chops with Cherry BBQ Sauce

Mom asked where the meat was in my last post...so here it is :)

I participated in a pork competition at DMACC (Ankeny, IA) last semester which was a blast! It's a great feeling to collaborate with friends to make a killer dish. I was in a group with some adventurous palettes and creative ideas. We came up with a pork chop injected with apple cider and chai tea concentrate. Then we created a compote of dried cherries, green peppers, apples, apple butter and sage.

Needless to say I have been craving that dish ever since we made it last! So I made my own version...except with a cherry bbq sauce! Cherries were simmered in chai tea concentrate and ground sage along with some apples and green pepper. Pumpkin pie spice and onion powder were added at this point. After that reduced, I added a few tablespoons of hickory BBQ sauce. The pork chops were seasoned with salt and poultry seasoning and pan sauteed. I brought my spices with me to Colorado!

I work for the National Cattlemen's Beef Association...but I still enjoy pork!

My heart goes out to the farmland and people of Marshall and Grundy County Iowa. It makes me sick to think of what the area must look like right now. Someone posted a picture of a grain bin in Green Mountain and it made me sad. Hopefully things will turn around, I know it is hard to be optimistic at this point.

Until next time...cook something nice and your spirits are bound to turn around!

No comments:

Post a Comment