Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Broccoli Coleslaw


A special friend of mine wanted me to post this recipe for her! I made it for the 4th of July BBQ I went to on Monday. Let's just say the BBQ was a blast, with good company and a lot of food--heavy on the protein! We had some grilled pork ribs, petite tenders, steak-wrapped asparagus, and German beef sausage. There were also some fruit salads, pasta salad, and a cobbler with homemade ice cream for dessert. We played some ladder golf and my team won! It was very fun. 

When I got back to my room I could hear fireworks going off. So, I looked out my window on the third floor and I could see five different firework displays! Very cool and memorable :)

I know that everyone has probably seen a rendition of this recipe before, but here is what I did (adapting it from allrecipes.com):

1/4 C. margarine (better with butter if you have it!)
2 (3 oz.) pkg. oriental flavored Ramen noodles (reserve seasonings)
1/2 C. slivered almonds
1/4 C. sesame seeds
1 (16 oz.) pkg broccoli coleslaw mix
1/2 C. chopped green onions
1 C. to 1 1/4 C. lemon ginger sesame dressing (Target brand-Archer Farms or Kraft toasted Asian sesame dressing)


Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Melt the margarine and toss with the crushed Ramen noodles, sesame seeds, and almonds. Place on a baking sheet; bake for 8-10 minutes or until crunchy. Cool completely.



Toss the broccoli coleslaw and green onion in a medium sized bowl. Whisk together the dressing and the reserved seasoning packets from the Ramen noodles in a separate bowl.  Combine the noodle mixture and the dressing. Pour this over the coleslaw; mix and toss to coat.

You may choose to top the whole salad with extra sesame seeds.

Enjoy :)


1 comment:

  1. Yum! I am going to have to try this recipe. I've never toasted the ramen noodles before, great idea!

    ReplyDelete